Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Props for Comps...and I Don't Mean Base Comps!

I know that's what it sounds like I'll be writing about, but no. Instead let me tell you how my evening played out. I'd been looking forward to getting back to Albany (even though it's only been a couple of weeks) and so I ended my day at my satellite office so that I could go back for their wristband night, which has always proved worthwhile with decent, generally college aged competition in the past. So I showed up a few minutes early and watched as a couple of groups showed up. However, the groups were a kids party and an ARC group...not appropriate competition for me to play against tonight. I know when it's just better to hang back. I waited in hopes that others would show up, but it didn't happen. So I left. Rather than turn around and drive home I decided that since I was already in the area and there's a nail salon two doors down that I would kill an hour by getting a manicure and see if anyone showed up later on.

Once my nails were shiny and sparkly I returned to Zero Gravity and here's where the staff impressed me again. I was waiting for a chance to inquire about whether any more players showed up in the meantime when Donnie (one of the managers who I don't generally see when I play on the weekends) came over. He knowingly said "I have a rough idea who you are. You're the laser tag...connoisseur." (OK, I'll take it) and he began writing out a free game pass for me. I started to say it was not necessary, but he said he insisted for the inconvenience of my stopping in twice and not being able to play. Well...that's a nice surprise! I'm appreciative of that. Many thanks for the comp pass..and also an excuse to show off my manicure...


Now, here's why I'm impressed. Generally I play laser tag a couple of times a week at various locations. There have been more than a few times that I've been ready to play and there just wasn't anyone to play against. Sometimes I can get a game master to go one on one, but plenty of times I've had the employees either just not take my money or give me a replacement pass for another time...which is fine and just par for the course. However, I have never before been given a free pass simply out of respect for my time, which is always my biggest investment in this sport since I live about an hour and a half from any of my playing options...the location of my office aside. For me it's not about the pass itself (because you know I'm playing the whole night whenever I play), but the gesture was really nice of him and appreciated. This is the kind of customer service that makes me want to return because it demonstrates that they care about providing a good experience...especially when the situation was not that I couldn't play a round, just that in fairness I shouldn't have played against those who were there this evening. So that means something to me and I want to say thanks for making it worth my while...even if I didn't actually get to play tonight. Like the Terminator, I'll be back.  :)

Comments or questions?
Contact: tivia@tiviachickloveslasertag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment