Sunday, September 18, 2022

Racing My Way Through the Apex 5K

Over the weekend I participated in my first live running event, the second annual Apex Fun Run 5K held at Apex Entertainment in Marlborough, MA. While I have regularly been doing virtual pace challenges for the past two years, this would be my very first time doing an in-person road race and it seemed like a great place to begin. 

This event would not only benefit two excellent causes, The New England Center for Children and The Hole In the Wall Gang Camp, but it would also end with a finisher’s party featuring laser tag and other attractions for all the participants. That was enough to get me interested, so I signed up for the event and I was the first person to arrive and pick up my T-shirt and number at the start of the morning.


As other runners arrived, we gathered around the starting line and waited for the signal to start the 5K (or 3.11 mile) race around the neighborhood that would start and end back at Apex Entertainment. 3-2-1 go!


We were off and running (literally) and circled around the course. After the first mile I was feeling good. After the second mile I was still going strong. 



By the time I got to the end I was feeling accomplished!

I knew I was not among the top three overall finishers (and honestly did not expect to be) however, it was a delightful surprise to learn that I had placed 7th in the female race category and was the female age group champ in my division! I’m calling this a victory!

I went inside to pick up my swag bag.

What better way to celebrate than with some laser tag! Apex opened up their facility to the runners and their families to enjoy complimentary game attractions, so of course I headed over to the briefing room.

I have played laser tag here several times, so I thought I knew what to expect, but as soon as we walked into the arena, I immediately noticed a BIG change! Several months ago, Apex had enlisted Art Attack to do a complete redesign of their arena walls. This brightens up the space and makes a noticeable and very impactful impression right away.





I headed over to the front counter in search of souvenirs and met one of the managers, Danny, who brought over Director of Operations George Aronstein as well as Rob and Emily who have been helpful to me with some of my past initiatives at Apex. We walked together to the laser tag arena where George and I posed wearing the Laserforce packs for a fun photo op at the entrance.


It was so nice to get to visit with some of the Apex team and to express to them how much I enjoyed the event they had put together. I could not have asked for a better race experience! This was a wonderful event that supported two exceptional causes and I was very happy I decided to make the drive to Massachusetts to participate and enjoy the competition of both the race and the laser tag at Apex Entertainment in Marlborough.


Comments or Questions?

Contact: Tivia@tiviachickloveslasertag.com

Websites: www.tiviachickloveslasertag.com and www.photonforever.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment