Sunday, December 13, 2015

Kids and the Christmas Spirit

Last night I felt a little like Miss Hannigan. Today I feel like an elf. What a total 180 and an infusion of the Christmas spirit! Let me explain.

I knew early on yesterday that I'd be the only one of my group out at laser tag, so my first thought was to mix it up a bit and go to the Laserforce arena instead. When I arrived I was surprised to find that they had a different kind of crowd...two parties, lots of kids! In any other situation kids are great, but I do find having little ones underfoot does make it tough to play an aggressive game of tag. I prefer to play in a more balanced situation (although since I was already there I played one light game for the road anyhow).

Then I decided it would be better all around for me to go to my Zone center where there would likely be an older group of players, but you know what? They had parties going on there too...more kids! In the context of my night out at the arena I found myself feeling like the house mother from Annie (cue the chorus of "Little Girls"), but that was clearly just how the cookie was going to crumble. So, I rolled with it, but basically felt it was a lost evening as far as laser tag goes. Then this morning I ended up with a whole new perspective.

Remember the toy drive I mentioned last week? After several weeks of raising awareness and broadcasting from numerous collection stops we had the most heartwarming finale to what has been our largest toy drive yet...


Over 20,000 toys were collected and made available to 28 charities to pick up and distribute to less fortunate children locally. This overwhelms me on many levels. The toys we collected spanned four bus lengths, two rows deep. The generosity of our community is astounding...as is the need. To realize how many children might have gone without a present on Christmas morning who will now get a gift because of this effort makes me feel really humbled to be a part of this. I realize that I take for granted that I will go out to tag each week, but days like this really remind me of just how very fortunate I am. Some kids may never be able to experience laser tag. Some kids may not have a toy on Christmas morning. I don't have children of my own, but suddenly Miss Hannigan has melted away and I am grateful to be in a position where I can help a drive like this in any way, to make a difference for a child in any way. And that warms my heart even more than tagging a base. :)

Comments or questions?
Contact: tivia@tiviachickloveslasertag.com
Websites: www.tiviachickloveslasertag.com and www.photonforever.com
Blog: tiviachickloveslasertag.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment